`Rubin football pitch to be fit for Chelsea`
Kazan: Russian football club Rubin Kazan insist the pitch will be ready for the Chelsea visit in the Europa League next month despite a UEFA order that the game must be played in Moscow because of a poor-quality surface in the stadium.
The first leg of the quarterfinal tie to be held on April 4th is at Stamford Bridge, and the Russians wanted UEFA to allow them to play the April 11 second leg in their home city.
"I want to say that we will do everything possible and impossible to hold the Rubin-Chelsea match on April 11 in Kazan," said Pavel Nikulin, the Central Stadium`s director.
Rubin are currently appealing the decision to play the match on Luzhniki Stadium`s artificial pitch in the capital.
The churned-up turf at the Central Stadium has been replanted with more than six kilos of grass seed and passed fit by the Russian Premier League for the club`s next domestic league fixture against Lokomotiv Moscow on Saturday, Nikulin said.
The club had to play their first two Europa League matches of the year at Luzhniki after holding all group games last year in Kazan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal