`Seedorf still adapting to Brazilian football`
Rio de Janeiro: Clarence Seedorf is yet to adapt to Brazilian football more than eight months after his arrival at Botafogo, according to the Rio de Janeiro club`s coach Oswaldo de Oliveira.
The former Inter Milan, Real Madrid and AC Milan midfielder has played 33 matches and scored 13 goals for Botafogo in an unfamiliar attacking role just behind the strikers, reports Xinhua.
"Seedorf is very harsh on himself. He says he still hasn`t fully adapted and makes a big effort to reach the high standards he sets himself. He puts pressure on himself, so I try to help him by making sure that his teammates understand his way of thinking and vice-versa. He has made a big effort to adapt," de Oliveira said Saturday.
De Oliveira added that Seedorf has improved with every match this season and cites the 36-year-old as key to the team`s hopes against rivals Vasco da Gama in Sunday`s Guanabara Cup final at the Engenhao Stadium.
"There has been a difference in his development in the first couple of games this season... It`s a question of time and something he is still getting used to."
Botafogo advanced to the final after defeating Flamengo 2-0 while Vasco overcame Fluminese 3-2 in the other semifinal.
Seedorf said he would not settle for anything less than victory in his first attempt at silverware in Brazil.
"I am motivated because competition is important. It`s always better to win than to lose. If you get used to winning, it can be very important. I don`t have butterflies in the stomach but we are focused on trying to replicate or even improve on the form we showed against Flamengo," Seedorf said.
Seedorf joined Botafogo in July last year after ending a 10-year spell with Italian giants AC Milan. He won 87 international caps for the Netherlands between 1994 and 2008.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know