12 state bodies against Patel`s appointment in `divided` AIFF
New Delhi: The lure of plum posts has left the All India Football Federation (AIFF) a "divided house", with 12 state associations reportedly objecting to Praful Patel`s appointment as president for a second straight term.
A few of those who have objected to Patel`s candidature immediately after the AGM last December after failing to get elected to the posts they had hoped for, have admitted to have sent blank nomination papers signed by probable office-bearers to the AIFF.
"12 state associations have protested to Patel`s nomination. They had sent blank nominations in anticipation that they would be elected by the president. But those who did not, have straightaway protested. This has left the house divided," an AIFF official told PTI on condition of anonymity.
Another official said that the whole procedure to pick the office bearers unopposed in the AGM has led to this situation.
"The fact is what has left some of them disappointed is that they did not get what they were hoping for."
It may be noted that two days before the AIFF elections were to be held, the Delhi High Court, acting on an application filed by lawyer-activist Rahul Mehra, had asked the federation to conduct the polls under the government`s Sports Code.
Mehra had alleged that Patel collected blank nomination papers signed by probable office-bearers from the state federations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Billboard 200 albums chart: Drake's 'Views' remains on top for 11th time
- Quran sacrilege: Delhi AAP lawmaker Naresh Yadav sent to judicial custody till Aug 1
- Hillary Clinton nominated for president, husband Bill says she will ''never quit''
- Arjun Kapoor to have double role in 'Mubaraka'
- WATCH: TERRIFYING! Ten times Brock Lesnar showed no mercy to his WWE opponents