12 state bodies against Patel`s appointment in `divided` AIFF
New Delhi: The lure of plum posts has left the All India Football Federation (AIFF) a "divided house", with 12 state associations reportedly objecting to Praful Patel`s appointment as president for a second straight term.
A few of those who have objected to Patel`s candidature immediately after the AGM last December after failing to get elected to the posts they had hoped for, have admitted to have sent blank nomination papers signed by probable office-bearers to the AIFF.
"12 state associations have protested to Patel`s nomination. They had sent blank nominations in anticipation that they would be elected by the president. But those who did not, have straightaway protested. This has left the house divided," an AIFF official told PTI on condition of anonymity.
Another official said that the whole procedure to pick the office bearers unopposed in the AGM has led to this situation.
"The fact is what has left some of them disappointed is that they did not get what they were hoping for."
It may be noted that two days before the AIFF elections were to be held, the Delhi High Court, acting on an application filed by lawyer-activist Rahul Mehra, had asked the federation to conduct the polls under the government`s Sports Code.
Mehra had alleged that Patel collected blank nomination papers signed by probable office-bearers from the state federations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly