150 `jobless` former footballers imprisoned in UK
London: About 150 former footballers are serving time in prison on charges ranging from crime, addiction to alcohol and gambling.
According to the Professional Footballers` Association, many of these players have been discarded by lower league clubs, and are depressed and facing financial ruin.
At least 700 football professionals are jobless.
Former Crystal Palace player Gavin Heeroo needed help after he splurged 30000 pounds because of his betting addiction. Former Chelsea player Alan Hudson has admitted to losing 200,000 pounds in betting and now lives on 30 pounds a week.
Goalkeeper Michael Kinsella was imprisoned for six years for smuggling drugs after being abandoned by the Tranmere Rovers.
Kinsella said players resort to all sorts of practices to get money which runs out after they are no longer part of a club, and adds that some 32-year-old players have no clue about what they are going to do after retirement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister