150 `jobless` former footballers imprisoned in UK
London: About 150 former footballers are serving time in prison on charges ranging from crime, addiction to alcohol and gambling.
According to the Professional Footballers` Association, many of these players have been discarded by lower league clubs, and are depressed and facing financial ruin.
At least 700 football professionals are jobless.
Former Crystal Palace player Gavin Heeroo needed help after he splurged 30000 pounds because of his betting addiction. Former Chelsea player Alan Hudson has admitted to losing 200,000 pounds in betting and now lives on 30 pounds a week.
Goalkeeper Michael Kinsella was imprisoned for six years for smuggling drugs after being abandoned by the Tranmere Rovers.
Kinsella said players resort to all sorts of practices to get money which runs out after they are no longer part of a club, and adds that some 32-year-old players have no clue about what they are going to do after retirement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress, BJP have husband-wife like relationship: Arvind Kejriwal
- Oops! Bella Hadid's revealing outfits stun glamour world – Watch
- This is the only temple where Lord Hanuman is worshipped in female form
- Alia Bhatt-Varun Dhawan reunite for 'Badrinath Ki Dulhania'! See pic
- WATCH: What a statement! When PM Narendra Modi blasted al-Qaida - 'Indian Muslims will live for India, die for India'