150 `jobless` former footballers imprisoned in UK
London: About 150 former footballers are serving time in prison on charges ranging from crime, addiction to alcohol and gambling.
According to the Professional Footballers` Association, many of these players have been discarded by lower league clubs, and are depressed and facing financial ruin.
At least 700 football professionals are jobless.
Former Crystal Palace player Gavin Heeroo needed help after he splurged 30000 pounds because of his betting addiction. Former Chelsea player Alan Hudson has admitted to losing 200,000 pounds in betting and now lives on 30 pounds a week.
Goalkeeper Michael Kinsella was imprisoned for six years for smuggling drugs after being abandoned by the Tranmere Rovers.
Kinsella said players resort to all sorts of practices to get money which runs out after they are no longer part of a club, and adds that some 32-year-old players have no clue about what they are going to do after retirement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'