150 `jobless` former footballers imprisoned in UK
London: About 150 former footballers are serving time in prison on charges ranging from crime, addiction to alcohol and gambling.
According to the Professional Footballers` Association, many of these players have been discarded by lower league clubs, and are depressed and facing financial ruin.
At least 700 football professionals are jobless.
Former Crystal Palace player Gavin Heeroo needed help after he splurged 30000 pounds because of his betting addiction. Former Chelsea player Alan Hudson has admitted to losing 200,000 pounds in betting and now lives on 30 pounds a week.
Goalkeeper Michael Kinsella was imprisoned for six years for smuggling drugs after being abandoned by the Tranmere Rovers.
Kinsella said players resort to all sorts of practices to get money which runs out after they are no longer part of a club, and adds that some 32-year-old players have no clue about what they are going to do after retirement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason
- Two lakh ration cards cancelled in two months in Jharkhand
- PM Narendra Modi returns from Tashkent after completing his two-day visit