150 `jobless` former footballers imprisoned in UK
London: About 150 former footballers are serving time in prison on charges ranging from crime, addiction to alcohol and gambling.
According to the Professional Footballers` Association, many of these players have been discarded by lower league clubs, and are depressed and facing financial ruin.
At least 700 football professionals are jobless.
Former Crystal Palace player Gavin Heeroo needed help after he splurged 30000 pounds because of his betting addiction. Former Chelsea player Alan Hudson has admitted to losing 200,000 pounds in betting and now lives on 30 pounds a week.
Goalkeeper Michael Kinsella was imprisoned for six years for smuggling drugs after being abandoned by the Tranmere Rovers.
Kinsella said players resort to all sorts of practices to get money which runs out after they are no longer part of a club, and adds that some 32-year-old players have no clue about what they are going to do after retirement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Kerry arrives in India for strategic dialogue; terrorism emanating from Pakistan, visa issues on agenda
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic