19 years after Cantona, player sacked for fan attack
London: The captain of English non-league team Goole was sacked Saturday after confronting a heckling fan, with the incident coming 19 years to the day since Eric Cantona`s infamous kung-fu kick on a supporter.
Karl Colley, 30, was filmed angrily running into the stands to face down a supporter of opponents Coalville after being sent off in Goole`s 3-0 defeat at their Victoria Pleasure Grounds home in north-east England.
Video footage showed Colley making three attempts to tackle the fan and also appearing to throw a punch.
"Straight after the game he was sacked," Goole secretary Andrew Morris told Britain`s Press Association.
"This is one individual. I spoke to Coalville after the game and they said also it was one individual. This is a shame because we`re just a group of volunteers. It`s disgusting and embarrassing."
A tweet on the Coalville website joked: "You`d of hoped Goole`s No 5`s punching was better than his footballing skills, unfortunately not #swingandmiss".
Former Manchester United star Cantona was banned for nine months for his kung-fu kick at Crystal Palace fan Matthew Simmons after being red-carded at Selhurst Park in January 1995.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere