2014 World Cup stadium unfinished for April 15 opening
Sao Paulo: Sao Paulo`s Itaquerao World Cup stadium will be incomplete when it officially opens April 15, according to media reports.
The Brazilian newspaper Folha de S. Paulo said the venue`s roof, corporate boxes and big screens will not be ready on time, reported Xinhua.
The new stadium`s first official match will be between Corinthians and Flamengo April 27.
A spokesperson for Brazilian top-flight club Corinthians, who own the stadium, confirmed Tuesday the stadium would not be fully ready, but denied pending work was cause for concern.
Earlier, UEFA chairman and World Cup organizing committee member Michel Platini revealed FIFA was still seeking guarantees about the venue.
"There are question marks over the number of seats. FIFA wants to know exactly how many there will be," Platini said.
"There are also complementary structures which nobody wants to pay for."
According to Corinthians, the 68,000-capacity venue will comprise about 20,000 temporary seats for the World Cup.
The Itaquerao will stage six World Cup matches, including the opener between Brazil and Croatia June 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest