4 Nigerian football teams suspended over `mind boggling` results from play-offs
Johannesburg: Four Nigerian football teams have been suspended following their reporting `mind-boggling` results from their play-off matches.
According to Sport24, Plateau United Feeders had manufactured an astonishing 79-0 victory over Akurba FC while Police Machine FC had demolished Babayaro FC 67-0. The report further said that although both the teams needed convincing wins to earn promotions to the Nigeria Nationwide League, but officials immediately rejected the eye-popping results. Nigeria``s Football Federation chairman Mike Emeh said in a statement that the four teams involved have been suspended immediately and indefinitely, adding that everyone involved in the matches, including officials and staff at the pitch, could face sanctions.
Describing the scores of 79-0 and 67-0 as ``scandalous`` tallies that must be probed, the Federation further stated that the scores are a ``mind boggling`` show of shame, which was never witnessed in the country before.
According to a Federation spokesman, although a deal was probably struck among the sides, but the details, including whether any money changed hands, are not yet known, adding that the Federation is setting up an investigation into the results.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan