4 Nigerian football teams suspended over `mind boggling` results from play-offs
Johannesburg: Four Nigerian football teams have been suspended following their reporting `mind-boggling` results from their play-off matches.
According to Sport24, Plateau United Feeders had manufactured an astonishing 79-0 victory over Akurba FC while Police Machine FC had demolished Babayaro FC 67-0. The report further said that although both the teams needed convincing wins to earn promotions to the Nigeria Nationwide League, but officials immediately rejected the eye-popping results. Nigeria``s Football Federation chairman Mike Emeh said in a statement that the four teams involved have been suspended immediately and indefinitely, adding that everyone involved in the matches, including officials and staff at the pitch, could face sanctions.
Describing the scores of 79-0 and 67-0 as ``scandalous`` tallies that must be probed, the Federation further stated that the scores are a ``mind boggling`` show of shame, which was never witnessed in the country before.
According to a Federation spokesman, although a deal was probably struck among the sides, but the details, including whether any money changed hands, are not yet known, adding that the Federation is setting up an investigation into the results.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29