4 Nigerian football teams suspended over `mind boggling` results from play-offs
Johannesburg: Four Nigerian football teams have been suspended following their reporting `mind-boggling` results from their play-off matches.
According to Sport24, Plateau United Feeders had manufactured an astonishing 79-0 victory over Akurba FC while Police Machine FC had demolished Babayaro FC 67-0. The report further said that although both the teams needed convincing wins to earn promotions to the Nigeria Nationwide League, but officials immediately rejected the eye-popping results. Nigeria``s Football Federation chairman Mike Emeh said in a statement that the four teams involved have been suspended immediately and indefinitely, adding that everyone involved in the matches, including officials and staff at the pitch, could face sanctions.
Describing the scores of 79-0 and 67-0 as ``scandalous`` tallies that must be probed, the Federation further stated that the scores are a ``mind boggling`` show of shame, which was never witnessed in the country before.
According to a Federation spokesman, although a deal was probably struck among the sides, but the details, including whether any money changed hands, are not yet known, adding that the Federation is setting up an investigation into the results.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP