40 injured as Mohun Bagan-East Bengal derby called off
Kolkata: A wave of violence on Sunday engulfed the gigantic Yuva Bharati Krirangan, forcing the marquee I-League clash between Mohun Bagan and East Bengal to be called off, besides leaving 40 injured.
The situation at the over-one-lakh-capacity stadium was, however, brought under control fast enough to avert a bigger tragedy.
The casualties included 20 policemen who were injured in the scuffle, police sources said.
Commissioner of Bidhannagar Police, Rajiv Kumar was also injured and suffered cuts in his cheek, the source said, adding three persons were detained in connection with the incident.
Reminding one of the violence during another Mohun Bagan-East Bengal derby at the Eden Gardens on August 16, 1980 in which where 16 football fans were killed and scores injured, fans today started pelting stones and bricks into the field after Mohun Bagan's star recruit Okolie Odafa was given the marching orders by the referee.
This occurred soon after East Bengal drew the first blood through Harmanjot Khabra in the 43rd minute from a Mehtab Hossain freekick.
Mohun Bagan forward Syed Rahim Nabi was injured after one of the bricks thrown from the stands hit him on his face. As Nabi had to be hospitalised, the Bagan players came off the field. The match was called off after Bagan refused to field their players in the second half.
The highly charged-up game snowballed into madness soon after Mohun Bagan's star player Odafa was sent off by Vishnu Chauhan for showing dissent.
As soon as the Nigerian was sent off, Mohun Bagan fans started to hurl missiles, one of them hitting Nabi's face.
Surprisingly, the spectators managed to sneak in a large number of stones and bricks, apart from sticks and crackers, into the stands, despite heavy police presence.
Bidhannagar Police sources claimed that the hooligans had managed to break concrete slabs in the stadium and used these pieces as missiles.
"This could have led to a situation like the 1980 incident at the Eden Gardens," Arup Basu, a spectator who had been present during that incident, said.
But the situation was brought under control with the police forcing the the spectators out of the stadium soon after.
Some of the hooligans targetted the passing cars and vehicles carrying supporters of the opponent team, but the police immediately chased them away.
"Attempts were made to create trouble, but the hooligans were chased away and smooth flow of traffic was restored soon," Kolkata Police sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27