A Kerala school in Subroto Cup final for first time
New Delhi: MSP Higher Secondary School, Kerala recovered from an early deficit to beat Little Angel Paradise English School, Manipur 4-2 on penalty shootout to qualify for the final of the Under-17 Subroto Cup football tournament here on Wednesday.
The Kerala boys, playing in their maiden semifinal, were trailing by one goal in just the sixth minute when Prikanta directed the ball into the net.
MSP struck back through Salman K in the 19th minute to restore parity and then kept things tight to take the match to the penalty shootout.
The pressure of the tie-breaker and the vociferous crowd support for the Kerala school apparently affected the boys from Manipur as P Rabindro and skipper Sunder missed the first two shots and handed the match to the opposition.
MSP Higher Secondary School thus became the first school from Kerala to qualify for the final of the Subroto Cup.
The semifinal saw huge crowd at Ambedkar Stadium, most of them cheering and supporting the Kerala boys.
In the remaining two quarterfinals, Air Force School, Subroto Park will take on Sports Hostel Tamil Nadu while FC Dynamo Kyiv will face Steqlal High School, Afghanistan on Friday. The winners of these matches will face off in the second semifinal on Saturday.
Meanwhile, Sports Minsiter Ajay Maken and the Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs have come forward with their support and for the first time two league matches were played at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- India unlikely to get Kohinoor diamond back, hints UK minister
- Narshingh Yadav doping scandal: ‘Intruder’ who may have spiked wrestler's food identified?
- IMF says Egypt seeking financial support
- Pacer Kagiso Rabada scoops six South African awards
- French Open champ Garbine Muguruza withdraws from Montreal