Aaron Ramsey the hero of the hour, and season, for Arsenal
London: During the long hours in the gym as he fought his way back to fitness from a horrific leg injury, Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey must have wondered whether he still had a future in football.
The February 2010 injury, when he shattered two bones in a tackle by Stoke City`s Ryan Shawcross, was a distant memory on Thursday as England`s media hailed the 22-year-old Welsh international as Arsenal`s Champions League hero.
Ramsey`s headed goal in the 62nd minute gave the Londoners an important 1-0 win over last season`s runners-up Borussia Dortmund on Wednesday, putting them firmly on the road towards qualification for the last 16.
Inevitably dubbed "Rampant Rambo" by the tabloids, Ramsey celebrated his 11th Arsenal goal in 17 games this season, equalling his entire scoring tally from his previous five seasons with the club.
"Where on earth would Arsenal be without him?" asked the Daily Mirror.
"Quite simply, the Welsh midfielder has taken everyone`s breath away this season as he has been transformed into a world beater who last night stunned Borussia Dortmund in their own backyard."
While Dortmund tried to digest what coach Juergen Klopp called a "nasty, vicious" defeat, Arsenal enjoyed the view from the top of Group F where they have nine points, equal with Napoli but ahead of the Italian side on goal difference.
A home victory against Olympique Marseille, who have yet to score a point, on November 26 would all but clinch qualification for Arsenal whose domestic form has put them five points clear at the top of the Premier League.
Wednesday`s win extended their unbeaten away record to 15 games and Ramsey, who has been at the club since joining from Cardiff City at the age of 17, was given much of the credit.
"Aaron Ramsey can do no wrong," said the Guardian. "Everything he touches turns to goals right now."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'