Abramovich to hand Di Matteo one-year Chelsea trial: Report
Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is set to hand Roberto Di Matteo a one-year contract as boss after remaining unconvinced by the Italian’s managerial credentials, according to The Times.
Since his appointment on an interim basis following the sacking of Andre Villas-Boas in March, the former West Brom coach has rejuvenated the Blues, leading them to victories in the finals of both the FA Cup and the Champions League.
And, while Abramovich does not view Di Matteo as a top class manager, he has accepted that the 41-year-old deserves a further opportunity at Stamford Bridge after his remarkable achievements this season.
However, any decision is unlikely to be reached until next week, meaning the former Blues midfielder will depart for his pre-season holiday with his future still undecided.
The ex-MK Dons boss is believed open to the prospect of a 12-month deal though, having only forced his way into consideration thanks to his Champions League success.
Although the Italian has the backing of the club’s squad and fans, their owner still retains hope of luring former Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola to west London, following the Spaniard`s sabbatical from the game which begins this summer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured