AC Milan beat LA Galaxy 2-0
Miami: Milan clinched third place in the Guiness International Champions Cup as they produced a fine display to defeat LA Galaxy 2-0 in Miami.
First-half goals from Mario Balotelli and M`Baye Niang gave Massimiliano Allegri`s outfit a commanding advantage in a match which they dominated from start to finish.
Milan took the lead on 17 minutes when Robbie Keane was caught sloppily in possession, allowing Andrea Poli to poke the ball beyond the LA Galaxy defence for Balotelli to emphatically smash past the advancing Carlo Cudicini.
Stephan El Shaarawy then spurned a good opportunity to double the Rossoneri`s lead when he controlled Niang`s pass but he could not produce the finish to match as he fired a fierce shot against the legs of Cudicini and over the crossbar.
Bruce Arena`s side looked short of the invention which helped them to defeat Juventus only three days earlier although Juninho nearly levelled the scores just past the half hour mark.
The Brazilian midfielder unleashed a swerving effort from distance which Christian Abbiati parried and the Milan goalkeeper had Cristian Zapata to thank as he produced a crucial challenge to prevent Landon Donovan from sweeping in the rebound.
Milan then doubled their lead four minutes before the interval when Niang capped his impressive performance with a goal. The 18-year-old Frenchman produced a neat feint to deceive Todd Dunivant on the right of the box before firing a low left-footed strike past Cudicini and into the bottom left-hand corner.
The Rossoneri continued to dominate proceedings in the second half and Niang, El Shaarawy and substitute Bakaye Traore were all culpable of wasting presentable goalscoring chances to give Milan a three-goal advantage.
With an important league fixture against Dallas on the weekend, Arena decided to make wholesale changes for the second half and his side struggled to fashion chances against a resilient Milan rearguard.
Sulley Muntari saw a late strike rattle against the crossbar before Milan`s victory was slightly marred by a late injury to Balotelli.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'