AC Milan friendly called off due to racist chants
London: The Rossoneri`s fixture against a fourth-division club was abandoned due to prejudiced jeers emanating from the hosts` support.
AC Milan`s mid-season friendly fixture against Pro Patria at Stadio Carlo Speroni was abandoned after Kevin-Prince Boateng became the victim of racist abuse.
The former Ghana international was dribbling down the flank after 25 minutes of play in front of a section of the stand populated by the opposition`s fans.
He then suddenly stopped playing, picked up the ball, and kicked it towards the Pro Patria support, prompting further jeers from the home crowd.
The referee decided to abandon the match a minute later.
Rossoneri organising director Umberto Gandini was quick to praise his players for walking out on the match.
"Very proud of the Milan players who decided to walk off the pitch today for racist abuse from few idiots," he wrote on Twitter.
"No racism, no stupidity!"
Two other players, M`Baye Niang and Sulley Muntari, were also singled out for taunts due to their race during the match.
Milan get back to action after the winter hiatus with a home clash against Siena on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore