Adriano signs with Flamengo
Rio de Janeiro: Former Brazil international striker Adriano has signed with Flamengo football club on a performance-based contract until the end of the year.
Flamengo confirmed on its official website Tuesday that the 30-year-old had committed to his third spell at the Rio de Janeiro club.
In a written statement issued to the media, Adriano said he felt like he was home and promised to repay the club`s faith.
"I want to express my gratitude to all those who have supported me," Adriano said.
"Now I want to honour the shirt of the club I call home with plenty of goals. It`s impossible to describe the happiness I`m feeling now."
Adriano has been given the No.10 shirt and will officially begin training with his new teammates Wednesday.
The former Inter Milan and Roma forward has not played since March when he injured his left achilles tendon while playing for Corinthians against Santos.
He was released by the Sao Paulo club days later amid allegations of disciplinary problems, which Adriano has denied.
Following surgery to repair the damaged tendon in April, Flamengo helped Adriano recuperate under the guidance of the club`s medical staff.
He was cleared Monday to begin training again by the club`s doctor Jose Luiz Runco.
Given his history of off-field controversy, Flamengo has been cautious in drafting the terms of the new contract.
It is understood Adriano will need to meet several conditions -mutually agreed to by player and club - if he is to continue at the club beyond December.
Adriano helped Flamengo win the 2009 Brazilian Serie A title with 19 goals from 31 matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!