Adriano to have surgery on left foot
Rio de Janeiro: Former Inter Milan and Roma striker Adriano insists he can still be a part of Brazil`s 2014 World Cup campaign despite another injury setback. The 30-year-old announced he would undergo surgery to repair Achilles tendon damage to his left foot.
The operation will keep him sidelined for at least another three months.
"I will have the surgery and then decide what I`m going to do with my life," Adriano said.
"My idea is to recover as well as I can because I still dream of returning to play with Flamengo and the national team."
Adriano was last month sacked by Corinthians - his seventh professional club in 12 years - after just seven games with the Sao Paulo outfit.
His release came amid reports the forward had failed to commit to a strict training regime designed to reduce his weight.
Adriano, who has scored 27 goals from 48 appearances for Brazil, admitted he had contemplated retirement in recent months.
"I have spoken with my family and my mother told me to stop playing. I said that it is not the time to stop. I have been out for a long time. We must be sure. I will have the surgery and then see how things are."
Adriano`s decision to operate came on the recommendation of Flamengo medical staff. The Rio club will monitor his recovery before deciding whether to offer him a new contract.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?