AFC Asian cup qualifier: India eves held 1-1 by Palestine
West Bank: India`s disappointing campaign in the AFC Women`s Asian Cup football (Qualifiers) ended with a 1-1 draw against hosts Palestine here at the Faisal Al Huseni Stadium.
Palestine, riding on striker Caro’s 47th minute spot kick, successfully held a dominant India to a 1-1 draw in their last Group D encounter here Saturday night. For India, Sasmita Malik scored her second consecutive goal of the tournament in the 35th minute.
Both the teams finish their campaigns with a point each. While India are third, Palestine stay rock bottom on the basis of goal difference.
India got their first real chance in the 19th minute when striker Pinky Magar’s right-footer from close was palmed away by rival custodian. The 51st ranked team could not make early inroads due to the number of legs - virtually the entire team - inside the danger area. But once they did, they stretched the Palestinian defence with the hosts’ ultra-defensive approach going for a toss.
Kamala Devi’s effort in the 17th minute, after being set up by Sasmita Malik, went inches wide. Pinky Devi`s header tested the goalkeeper. Former India Captain Oinam Bembem Devi kept the hosts` rearguard on tenterhooks with her defence splitting through balls.
The twice SAFF Champions were rewarded for their relentless attacks in the 35th minute.
Sasmita - goalscorer of the last match against Chinese Taipei - expertly cut past her marker to unleash a thunderous right-footer that crashed into the top right corner.
It was 1-0 in favour of India at halftime.
Palestine equalised from nowhere minutes after the change of ends. Captain Tuli Goon tripped forward Natali inside the 18-yard box to give away a rare penalty. Caro converted from the spot.
In the other match of the day, Myanmar booked their place for next year`s AFC Women`s Asian Cup on goal difference after playing out goalless draw with Chinese Taipei.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state