AFC president backs Qatar World Cup
Kuala Lumpur: Asian Football Confederation (AFC) president Shaikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa on Friday backed Qatar to host a successful FIFA World Cup in 2022.
Shaikh Salman, a member of the Bahrain royal family, said Qatar would "make Asia proud" with the tournament, despite ongoing concerns over playing it in summer.
"The AFC is confident that Qatar will host a magnificent World Cup, under the guidance of FIFA, and with it only being the second time that Asia plays host to a FIFA World Cup," Shaikh Salman said in a statement.
"We are sure that Qatar will make Asia proud," he added.
The newly appointed AFC president added that he is confident FIFA will make the best decision for all and that the AFC will be ready to support its members in any way possible leading into this historical event.
Shaikh Salman also added that he is certain in 2022 the Asian teams will be legitimate contenders for the championship.
"Based on the performance and achievements of Asian nations in all FIFA competitions and the recent Olympics in both the male and female categories show that we are now world beaters and worthy contenders for any competition; and why not winning it in 2022 in Asia," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed