AFC president congratulates Japan for World Cup berth
Kuala Lumpur: Asian Football Confederation (AFC) president Salman Bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa has congratulated the Japan national team on their qualification for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil.
Japan drew 1-1 with Australia in Saitama in their penultimate game of the final round Tuesday to book their place in the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil.
Shaikh Salman wrote to the Japan Football Association president Kuniya Daini: “I was delighted to learn that Asian champions Japan are the first side to qualify for the festival of world football, which takes place next year. I would like to congratulate the Japan football family on this achievement.”
The AFC chief also expressed the hope that the qualification would have provided the right boost to the Samurai Blue as they prepare to battle in the FIFA Confederations Cup in two weeks’ time.
“I wish the team the very best as they seek to fly high the Asian flag on the world stage,” said Shaikh Salman.
Three more automatic berths from Asia are yet to be filled and Shaikh Salman said: “With just two more rounds left, the race to represent Asia is going to be very exciting. I wish all the teams luck.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply