AFC U-22: India need to be consistent against UAE in qualifiers
Muscat: The Under-22 Indian football team will have its task cut out when it faces the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in its third match of the AFC U-22 Championship 2013 qualifiers here Thursday.
Coach Arthur Papas admits the tie against UAE could be the defining match in the tournament.
"We need to maintain our consistency. We have had two very good games so far. Though the results have been different, there are so many positives which have emerged."
"The boys have shown character and at this level you have to play with the same intensity every day. UAE are a very tough opposition. I reiterate one shouldn`t be expecting miracles. Everyone needs to be patient," he said.
India captain Jeje Lalpeklua, who has scored against the UAE senior team in the World Cup qualifiers, is raring to go.
"I still remember Dika`s (Lalrindika Ralte) cross which was inch perfect. I just had to nod it in," Jeje recalled with Dika on his side.
"The turf was slushy maintaining balance was difficult. There`s a sort of telepathy between Jeje and me," Dika quips.
Coach Papas said attention to minute details will make the difference.
"In International Matches, more often than not, the details decide the fate. Minute details such as set pieces, corners, etc. We need to be perfect," he said.
UAE coach Baler Sadih said he has have quite a few options up his sleeve. "We look forward to the match."
UAE have been unstoppable so far. In the first match, they beat hosts Oman 2-0 while in the second they accounted for Turkmenistan 1-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price