Afghanistan beat Sri Lanka 3-1 in SAFF Cup
New Delhi: Afghanistan rallied to thrash Sri Lanka 3-1 in the SAFF Cup football tournament at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium on Monday.
Ranked 178th in the world, Afghanistan fought back after conceding to put it across the island nation, who are two rungs above them at 176.
After the 1-1 stalemate against India in their tournament opener, the Afghans will now only need a need draw in their next match against Bhutan to qualify for last four from Group A.
Sri Lanka took the lead in the 17th minute through Mi Mohammad Zain as he capitalised on a faulty back-head by a defender, but a double strike by Sanjar Ahmadi (22nd, 36th) put Afghanistan ahead.
Ata Yamir Ali then consolidated the Afghans` position with a header in the 79th minute.
Even as Sri Lanka took the lead, Afghanistan didn`t wait long for the equaliser, which came five minutes later after winger Mohammad Yousef Mashriqi laid one for Sanjar to find the net with a right-footer.
In the 36th minute, Mohammad Esrafil ran down the left and made a square pass, which was missed by Mashriqi but a sliding Sanjar came from behind to find the net.
The third came when Yamir Ali slotted home a flag-kick from Haroon Fakrudin.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed