Afghanistan beat Sri Lanka 3-1 in SAFF Cup
New Delhi: Afghanistan rallied to thrash Sri Lanka 3-1 in the SAFF Cup football tournament at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium on Monday.
Ranked 178th in the world, Afghanistan fought back after conceding to put it across the island nation, who are two rungs above them at 176.
After the 1-1 stalemate against India in their tournament opener, the Afghans will now only need a need draw in their next match against Bhutan to qualify for last four from Group A.
Sri Lanka took the lead in the 17th minute through Mi Mohammad Zain as he capitalised on a faulty back-head by a defender, but a double strike by Sanjar Ahmadi (22nd, 36th) put Afghanistan ahead.
Ata Yamir Ali then consolidated the Afghans` position with a header in the 79th minute.
Even as Sri Lanka took the lead, Afghanistan didn`t wait long for the equaliser, which came five minutes later after winger Mohammad Yousef Mashriqi laid one for Sanjar to find the net with a right-footer.
In the 36th minute, Mohammad Esrafil ran down the left and made a square pass, which was missed by Mashriqi but a sliding Sanjar came from behind to find the net.
The third came when Yamir Ali slotted home a flag-kick from Haroon Fakrudin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'