AIFF`s constitution to be amended
New Delhi: The All India Football Federation (AIFF) is set to amend its constitution in order to adopt the new regulations which have come from the Asian Football Confederation (AFC).
A top official, on condition of anonymity, said that "in order to adopt to the new regulations, the AIFF`s constitution will have to be amended". The federation has earmarked Rs 50 lakh each as financial grant for selected state associations. The official, though, refused to name the states as "they are still to be finalised".
Besides, in a bid to spruce up the sport at junior level, the AIFF has decided to hold an Under-19/20 national level tournament from now on. President Praful Patel stressed on the need to have a "comprehensive" youth development programme in order to take Indian football to the next level. Patel also emphasised on the need to have a proper coach education programme in place.
"We need to have a comprehensive Youth Development Programme which would guide us in the right direction. Coach education stays an integral part of the Curriculum," Patel said after the Annual General Body (AGM) meeting here today.
"The regional and the elite academies are going as per schedule," he added.
Chaired by Patel, the AGM was attended by general secretary Kushal Das, vice-presidents Subrata Dutta, Ankur Datta, AR Khaleel and Venod Sharma. Members from all the state associations (except Arunachal Pradesh) and other stakeholders were also present in the meeting.
"2011 was an eventful year for Indian football. Besides India winning the SAFF Championship, the U-16 boys made it to the final phase of the AFC U-16 in Tashkent, which is commendable indeed. I also congratulate the U-13 girls for winning the AFC U-13 Football Tournament in Colombo recently," Patel said.
Shaji Prabhakaran, FIFA Regional Developmental Officer for South and Central Asia, made a presentation titled `Performance` which stressed on Professional Football Management.
A minute`s silence was also observed prior to the start of the meeting in memory of former internationals and office administrators -- Sailendra Nath Manna, KV Varadraj, AS Firoze, MA Sattar, Bobby Hamilton, Arjun Bikram Shah and Ejaz Hussain, all of whom passed away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre