AIFF set to soften stand against Mohun Bagan
New Delhi: The AIFF might consider reducing the two-year ban on Mohun Bagan, besides giving the club a breather as far as imposing financial sanctions is concerned, when the federation`s executive committee meets here tomorrow.
Conceding that the ban was harsh on the club, All India Football Federation general secretary, Kushal Das, today said that laws may be "changed" definitely.
"Law is a thing and in some cases it is strong. Three-year ban (including the current season) is strong and there is no doubt about that, but the executive committee has been given the power to consider everything. Definitely, laws may be changed," Das said.
"It looks a bit harsh, stringent... On one hand, we will have new clubs entering the fray and, on the other, they (Mohun Bagan) will not be playing for four years (they will have to qualify through second division after serving the ban). The discontent is understandable," Das added.
Mohun Bagan appealed against the ban slapped on it for abandoning an I-League match midway against East Bengal last December.
They were trailing 0-1 against their arch-rivals in the Kolkata derby when star player Syed Rahim Nabi was hit on the face by a stone hurled from the crowd at the Salt Lake stadium.
Mohun Bagan are getting a lot of support from the former players, fans and the other clubs.
Other than the Mohun Bagan issue, the AIFF will also form new committees of the new executive committee.
"New committees will be formed tomorrow like technical etc. There will be some assessment of I-league second division. We will also decide the venue for India`s international friendly," Das said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried