AIFF to felicitate heroes of 1951 and `62 Asian Games
New Delhi: The All India Football Federation (AIFF) will be felicitating the surviving members of the gold medal winning 1951 and 1962 Asian Games teams, on the occasion of the federation`s 75th anniversary next week.
"We will felicitate the living members of the 1951 and the 1962 Asia Games gold medal winning teams. It is unfortunate that several members of the two teams are not alive. The AIFF`s 75 years also coincides with the 50th anniversary of the 1962 gold winning feat. So, the AIFF has decided to honour the heroes who have given so much to Indian football," an AIFF spokesperson said.
The Indian football team, led by the late Sailen Manna, won the gold medal in the inaugural Asian Games here here in 1951. It was on a solitary strike by the legendary Mewalal that India beat Iran 1-0 at the National Stadium here to win the gold medal.
Eleven years later, the team led by P.K. Banerjee won the gold medal beating South Korea 2-1 in the final of the Jakarta Asian Games.
List of players to be felicitated:
1951 Asian Games: Ahmed Khan (Bengal), T. Shanmugham (Mysore) and T.M. Verghese (Bombay)
1962 Asian Games: Prodyut Barman (Railways), O.Chandrasekhar (Bombay), Arun Ghosh (Bengal), F. Franco (Bombay), Prasanta Sinha (Bengal), P.K.Banerjee (Bengal), Chuni Goswami (Bengal), Tulshidas Balaram (Bengal), Arumanayagam (Bengal), Ethiraj (Services), D.M.K.Afzal (Andhra Pradesh)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31