AIFF yet to pay East Bengal Fed Cup win`s prize money
New Delhi: It`s been eight months since East Bengal triumphed in the Federation Cup but the age-old Kolkata club is yet to get the prize money for winning the tournament, thanks to dilly dallying on part of the All India Football Federation (AIFF).
East Bengal won the last edition of the prestigious tournament when they defeated Goan giants Dempo Sports Club 3-2 in the title clash last October.
"We are yet to get the prize money for winning the tournament though it`s been many months now," a club official revealed on condition of anonymity.
In this regard, the club has approached the federation many times, but to no avail.
"We have brought this matter up with the AIFF quite a few times but every time they say they would give it. But the fact is they are yet to give us the prize money," the official added.
The winners` prize money is Rs 25 lakh.
The eight-time Federation Cup winners` triumph in the title clash turned out to be a perfect gift for their successful coach Trevor Morgan who turned 56 on the same day.
That was also East Bengal`s second Federation Cup triumph in Morgan`s third season.
East Bengal recently appointed Brazilian Marcos Falopa, who has been a FIFA instructor since 1996, as coach for the upcoming season.
In the wake of the prevailing financial crisis in West Bengal, East Bengal also has some budget restraints as club president Pranab Dasgupta arranged funds to sponsor the coach.
East Bengal will play against Semen Padang of Indonesia in their home and away quarterfinal matches of the AFC Cup football tournament in September.
East Bengal have reached the last eight for only the second time in seven tournament appearances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers