AIFF yet to pay East Bengal Fed Cup win`s prize money
New Delhi: It`s been eight months since East Bengal triumphed in the Federation Cup but the age-old Kolkata club is yet to get the prize money for winning the tournament, thanks to dilly dallying on part of the All India Football Federation (AIFF).
East Bengal won the last edition of the prestigious tournament when they defeated Goan giants Dempo Sports Club 3-2 in the title clash last October.
"We are yet to get the prize money for winning the tournament though it`s been many months now," a club official revealed on condition of anonymity.
In this regard, the club has approached the federation many times, but to no avail.
"We have brought this matter up with the AIFF quite a few times but every time they say they would give it. But the fact is they are yet to give us the prize money," the official added.
The winners` prize money is Rs 25 lakh.
The eight-time Federation Cup winners` triumph in the title clash turned out to be a perfect gift for their successful coach Trevor Morgan who turned 56 on the same day.
That was also East Bengal`s second Federation Cup triumph in Morgan`s third season.
East Bengal recently appointed Brazilian Marcos Falopa, who has been a FIFA instructor since 1996, as coach for the upcoming season.
In the wake of the prevailing financial crisis in West Bengal, East Bengal also has some budget restraints as club president Pranab Dasgupta arranged funds to sponsor the coach.
East Bengal will play against Semen Padang of Indonesia in their home and away quarterfinal matches of the AFC Cup football tournament in September.
East Bengal have reached the last eight for only the second time in seven tournament appearances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi