Air India hold East Bengal
Kalyani: East Bengal`s I-League aspirations received a big blow when Air India struck through Henry Ezeh in the dying minutes for a 1-1 draw in their round 21 fixture here.
Leading 1-0 after Edeh Chidi`s 60th minute strike, the last year`s runners up got the shocker in the 90 + 1st minute when Henry outran East Bengal defender Uga Okpara before firing past goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh.
East Bengal dropped to 41 points, two points behind leaders Churchill Brothers, who have played a match less than the former.
Credit should also be given to Air India`s Sukhwinder Singh who stood tall under the bar, thwarting four chances.
East Bengal had some fine raids in the first-half with Chidi leading from the front, but Sukhwinder ensured that the first 45 minutes remained goalless.
Chidi had a fine shot outside the box in the 22nd minute, but Sukhwinder saved it.
East Bengal finally tasted success when Chidi well trapped an Andrew Barisic low cross before scoring a left-footer.
With Sukhwinder doing a fine job, Air India did not let in any further goal and when it seemed that East Bengal were pocketing a full three points Henry produced a beauty in the dying minutes.
It was too late for East Bengal to bounce back as the draw meant a big setback for their I-League title hopes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why