Air India hold East Bengal
Kalyani: East Bengal`s I-League aspirations received a big blow when Air India struck through Henry Ezeh in the dying minutes for a 1-1 draw in their round 21 fixture here.
Leading 1-0 after Edeh Chidi`s 60th minute strike, the last year`s runners up got the shocker in the 90 + 1st minute when Henry outran East Bengal defender Uga Okpara before firing past goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh.
East Bengal dropped to 41 points, two points behind leaders Churchill Brothers, who have played a match less than the former.
Credit should also be given to Air India`s Sukhwinder Singh who stood tall under the bar, thwarting four chances.
East Bengal had some fine raids in the first-half with Chidi leading from the front, but Sukhwinder ensured that the first 45 minutes remained goalless.
Chidi had a fine shot outside the box in the 22nd minute, but Sukhwinder saved it.
East Bengal finally tasted success when Chidi well trapped an Andrew Barisic low cross before scoring a left-footer.
With Sukhwinder doing a fine job, Air India did not let in any further goal and when it seemed that East Bengal were pocketing a full three points Henry produced a beauty in the dying minutes.
It was too late for East Bengal to bounce back as the draw meant a big setback for their I-League title hopes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?