Ajax blank Heracles in Dutch league
The Hague: Title candidates in the Dutch Eredivisie made no mistake in the 29th match round, with league leaders Ajax beating Heracles Almelo 4-0.
Ajax had a good start when Lasse Schone opened the scoring in the 13th minute Sunday. In the remainder of the first half both teams had chances, but did not score.
Three minutes after halftime, Ajax suffered a setback when goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer was sent off for a challenge on Geoffrey Castillion. Ajax coach Frank de Boer brought in Jasper Cillessen as a replacement and substituted forward Viktor Fischer.
Heracles was not able to profit from this advantage and Ajax added three more goals in the second half. Kolbeinn Sigthorsson, substitute Ryan Babel and Christian Eriksen made it 4-0. The latter scored with a beautiful curled strike from the edge of the penalty area.
The red card of Vermeer turned out to be no disadvantage. "Heracles had to make the game after the red card and they did not," said Ajax coach Frank de Boer afterwards at the press conference. "We profited from that."
Ajax`s rivals in the championship race also gained three points. Vitesse defeated NAC Breda 3-0 Saturday, PSV was too strong for Willem II in Tilburg (3-1) and Friday Feyenoord beat VVV-Venlo 1-0.
With five matches remaining Ajax are on 63 points, three ahead of PSV and Vitesse and four ahead of Feyenoord.
Next weekend PSV will host reigning champions Ajax. Vermeer`s red card means he will be suspended for the top of the table clash. Cillessen will be his replacement in Eindhoven.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks