Ajax come from behind to win Johan Cruijff Schaal
Amsterdam: Siem de Jong scored an extra-time winner as Ajax Amsterdam came from two goals down to beat AZ Alkmaar 3-2 and win the season-opening Johan Cruijff Schaal in Amsterdam on Saturday.
AZ went ahead after halftime through the Icelandic pair of Johann Berg Gudmundsson in the 51st minute and Aron Johannsson 16 minutes later.
Ajax hit back swiftly with goals from their Scandinavian duo of Christian Eriksen, from a deflected free kick in the 69th minute, and Kolbeinn Sigthorsson six minutes later to force the game into extra time.
Eriksen, linked with a possible move away from Ajax, then set up De Jong for the winner 13 minutes into extra time.
Success for Ajax comes after losing the last three years in the annual matchup between the previous season`s champions and Cup winners for a trophy named after their most famous player.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- One killed in PKK car bomb in Turkey's southeast
- Morocco arrests 10 suspected Islamist militants, including Algerian
- India’s bid for NSG membership blocked as member countries fail to arrive at a consensus
- 'Raped woman' remark: Finally, Salman Khan speaks to media - Here's what he said
- 'Unguided missile Subramanian Swamy has backfired at BJP'