Ajax go top of Dutch league; PSV lose 1-2 to SC Heerenveen
The Hague: Ajax captured the top spot in the Dutch Eredivisie by beating PEC Zwolle 3-0, while former league leaders PSV lost 1-2 to SC Heerenveen.
Reigning champions Ajax had an easy Sunday afternoon in Amsterdam. Kolbeinn Sigthorsson and Siem de Jong gave the home team a 2-0 lead at half-time and substitute Derk Boerrigter produced the third.
"Our play looked good yet again," said Ajax coach Frank de Boer, at the post-match press conference. "We dominated all our opponents in recent weeks, and now we got the three points as well."
PSV had a disastrous evening Saturday at Heerenveen. The Eindhoven based side went down 0-2 thanks to goals from Marten de Roon and Yassine El Ghanassy.
"Very, very disappointing," said PSV coach Dick Advocaat after the match. "They put us under pressure in the first half. We kept trying to build from defence, but in this kind of situations you just have to use the long ball, incredible and inexplicable. In the second half we dominated, but it was too late."
Beside Ajax the second team to profit from PSV`s loss was Feyenoord who beat Roda JC 1-0 in Kerkrade Sunday.
Ajax now stand at the top of the points table with 54 points from 26 matches, one point ahead of PSV and Feyenoord. Vitesse remain in fourth place, three points behind Ajax, after beating FC Twente 1-0 in Enschede.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks