Ajax go top of Dutch league; PSV lose 1-2 to SC Heerenveen
The Hague: Ajax captured the top spot in the Dutch Eredivisie by beating PEC Zwolle 3-0, while former league leaders PSV lost 1-2 to SC Heerenveen.
Reigning champions Ajax had an easy Sunday afternoon in Amsterdam. Kolbeinn Sigthorsson and Siem de Jong gave the home team a 2-0 lead at half-time and substitute Derk Boerrigter produced the third.
"Our play looked good yet again," said Ajax coach Frank de Boer, at the post-match press conference. "We dominated all our opponents in recent weeks, and now we got the three points as well."
PSV had a disastrous evening Saturday at Heerenveen. The Eindhoven based side went down 0-2 thanks to goals from Marten de Roon and Yassine El Ghanassy.
"Very, very disappointing," said PSV coach Dick Advocaat after the match. "They put us under pressure in the first half. We kept trying to build from defence, but in this kind of situations you just have to use the long ball, incredible and inexplicable. In the second half we dominated, but it was too late."
Beside Ajax the second team to profit from PSV`s loss was Feyenoord who beat Roda JC 1-0 in Kerkrade Sunday.
Ajax now stand at the top of the points table with 54 points from 26 matches, one point ahead of PSV and Feyenoord. Vitesse remain in fourth place, three points behind Ajax, after beating FC Twente 1-0 in Enschede.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!