Ajax suffer first defeat of Dutch football season
The Hague: AZ Alkmaar handed Ajax Amsterdam their first defeat of the Eredivisie season by beating the reigning champions 3-2.
AZ were the better side in the first half, but Ajax took the lead after a free-kick from Christian Eriksen. At the stroke of half-time Roy Beerens equalised after a mistake by Ajax goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer.
Ajax took control in the second half with captain Siem de Jong giving the visitors the lead again. He headed in a cross by Bojan Krkic.
However, a red card for Ajax-defender Ricardo van Rhijn, after stopping Nick Viergever illegally, became the turning point of the match. Aron Johannsson converted the awarded penalty and 15 minutes from time Viktor Elm earned AZ the victory.
"We were not playing well in the first half," Ajax coach Frank de Boer reacted. "In the second half we were better and we were waiting for the third goal. After the red card and the penalty things turned around unfortunately. I think it should not have been a red card."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- India responds to Pakistan's offer for talks, says will discuss only cross-border terror
- CAUGHT ON CAMERA: This man doesn't give a damn to traffic rules, threatens people on Noida roads; his car has VIP horn - WATCH
- Mercedes GLE 400 4MATIC petrol variant launched in India at Rs 74.9 lakh
- Attention parents! Childhood head injury may up mental illness, mortality risk
- My mom gets worried about controversies: Sonakshi Sinha