Alex Ferguson attributes Chelsea`s FA Cup wins to easy draws
London: Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has delivered a dismissive assessment of Chelsea`s FA Cup pedigree by saying that their four successes in six seasons is due to Manchester United`s quarter-final opponents not having "one hard game" in the early rounds of recent campaigns.
Ferguson is expected to restore Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand and Javier Hernandez to the starting line-up on Monday after resting the trio for the 1-0 victory at Sunderland on Saturday.
Premier League leaders United must overcome FA Cup holders Chelsea in Monday`s replay at Stamford Bridge to maintain hopes of a domestic double and a clash with neighbours Manchester City in the semi-final on April 14.
Having allowed Chelsea to claw back a 2-0 deficit at Old Trafford last month in order to force a replay, Ferguson accepts that United face a difficult opponent. But the United manager says his team will not be affected by Chelsea`s ability to succeed in the Cup in recent years.
Ferguson`s claims over Chelsea`s ‘easy’ run to the semi-finals appears to have some credibility, with the Stamford Bridge club being drawn against lower league opponents on 19 occasions out of 26 draws between the third and sixth rounds of the competition, dating back to the 2006-07 season.
There have been 14 home draws in that run, plus draws against Premier League opponents in United, Southampton, Queens Park Rangers, Everton (who defeated Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in 2010-11), Stoke, Wigan and Tottenham.
In contrast, United, who have not won the FA Cup since 2004, have faced top-flight opponents in each of their last seven ties outside semi-finals.
Ferguson admits that fatigue played a decisive factor in United`s failure to hold on to their lead against Chelsea in the first game at Old Trafford.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?