Alex Ferguson hails Wayne Rooney & Darren Fletcher
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has praised Wayne Rooney and Darren Fletcher after the pair returned from injury to feature in Wednesday night`s League Cup win over Newcastle.
The England forward was making his first appearance since sustaining a serious leg gash during a Premier League win over Fulham in August.
Meanwhile, Fletcher captained the Red Devils in his first start since November, after taking a prolonged break to treat a bowel condition.
Sir Alex told Sky Sports: "Fletcher and Rooney were both excellent. Wayne tired a bit towards the end but that was to be expected and they have done really well.
"I`m very pleased first of all to win an all-Premier League division tie and then because Newcastle had a stronger team than us physically but we played some fantastic football and I think we deserved the victory.
"We want to progress as far as we can in the competition and we`ll do our best to do that. Winning is always important at this club."
The Scot also had kind words for a young United back four which included the likes of England Under-19 international Michael Keane.
He added: "The young defenders did their best. It was obviously difficult as [Shola] Ameobi is a big lad, a handful.
"Then they brought [Papiss] Cisse on, who is one of the best players at the club and has a lot of experience. It was a compliment to us that they did that and I think we handled it quite well."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- IIT-JEE Main rankings out; boys dominate list
- Oops! No changes in ticketing rules from July 1, says Railways
- Who said what on Anil Kumble's appointment as Team India's head coach
- 78 dead, 200 badly hurt in extreme weather in eastern China
- Watch this interesting movie-like trailer for NASA's Juno mission!