Alex Ferguson rules out any major transfers in January
London: Manchester United will not be spending in the January transfer window, according to their manager Sir Alex Ferguson.
United have been linked with Everton defender Leighton Baines and Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski in recent weeks, but the 70-year-old manager has ruled out any major signings.
"Don`t hold your breath waiting for Manchester United to jump through the transfer window when it opens next week!" he wrote in his matchday programme column ahead of the match against West Brom.
"If you believed everything you read in the media, we would have the biggest squad in Europe, not to mention becoming bankrupt!
"It`s been open season to link us with a stack of players, admittedly some very good ones, but it just isn’t going to happen.
"You can never say never in football because you don’t know who might become available but, speaking generally, I am not looking to do any serious transfer business in January.
"I don’t have to because I am more than satisfied with the players I have in my squad, a group as good as any I have had in my time at Old Trafford.
"So we won’t be dashing around in a panic. Of course, as always, we will be on the lookout for young players of potential who we can develop."
United will be without Wayne Rooney for the game against West Brom, but Sir Alex revealed he plans for such injuries.
"I always work on a 10 per cent injury rate so that, on average, I expect that out of a group of 20 players we will be missing a couple," he added.
"It gets tricky if you are hit by more in the same department. It was quite worrying for instance when we had so many defenders out of action earlier in the season, and I think it showed in one or two results."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal