Alexis adds to Barca injury woes
Madrid: FC Barcelona said that Chilean winger Alexis Sanchez will miss Saturday`s La Liga away game against Getafe.
Alexis returned from playing two World Cup qualifying matches for his country with what the club described Thursday as a slight muscle tear on the left side of his groin which means he will not be available at the weekend and is also doubtful for next week`s Champions League debut against Spartak Moscow, reports Xinhua.
The loss of Alexis, who suffered several muscle injuries last season, comes just a day after it was confirmed midfielder Andres Iniesta will also be sidelined for the next two weeks.
Iniesta also suffered his injury while on international duty playing for Spain against Georgia Tuesday.
Iniesta, just two weeks ago, was named the UEFA player of the year.
However, the injuries to Alexis and Iniesta could open the door for Cesc Fabregas or David Villa to return to the starting eleven in Getafe.
Villa scored a penalty for Spain against Saudi Arabia last Friday while Fabregas, whose early season form has been questioned by some, helped set Roberto Soldado up for Spain`s winning goal in Georgia after coming on as a substitute in the game.
Fortunately for Barca, Leo Messi and Javier Mascherano both returned unscathed from Argentina`s 1-1 draw in Peru.
Left-back Jordi Alba is currently suffering from flu, but should recover in time to be included in the squad to travel to Getafe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- DNA : Today in History, 26th July, 2016
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- DCW chief booked for naming Dalit rape victim, says not scared
- Delhi: Raped by 30-yr-old man, 4-yr-old girl undergoes surgery
- Strong need of creating awareness on organ donation: Experts
- Narendra Modi's silence on Dalit assault devaluation of PM's post: Congress
- Financial weakness hindering domestic airlines' international expansion