Alexis Sanchez`s hat-trick returns Barcelona to La Liga summit
BARCELONA: Alexis Sanchez hit a hat-trick as Barcelona swept aside Elche 4-0 to return to the top of La Liga on goal difference ahead of Atletico Madrid on Sunday.
Showing no sign of missing the injured Lionel Messi and rested Neymar, Barca took an early lead through Sanchez and Pedro made it 2-0 after 15 minutes.
Xavi Hernandez missed a penalty at the start of the second half before Sanchez added another and completed his hat-trick with a free kick.
"It was important to win and not make mistakes at home. We scored good goals and worked hard. There are five tough months still to go," Pedro told reporters.
Barcelona play Atletico next weekend.
"We know it is going to be difficult and we will go step by step," Pedro added. "First we face Getafe in the (King`s) cup."
Barca and Atletico, who beat Malaga on Saturday, both have 49 points, eight more than third-placed Real Madrid who face Celta Vigo on Monday.
Elche could only hold out for seven minutes before the home side took the lead when Jordi Alba`s dangerous cross from the left wing evaded the defence and Chilean Sanchez fire into the roof of the net.
The visitors were inches away from equalising when Yiadom Boakye crashed a drive against the post but it was only a brief respite.
Barca pressed high up the pitch and with Elche`s defence pushing up there were plenty of gaps to run into.
Cesc Fabregas`s pass opened up the defence and Pedro finished clinically from an angle.
After the break Fabregas was brought down by Ionut Sapunaru and Xavi missed the penalty but Sanchez was more deadly, knocking home a Pedro cross from close range after 63 minutes. He then curled home a 25-yard free kick to cap a great performance.
Earlier Vitolo, Carlos Bacca and Ivan Rakitic gave Sevilla a 3-0 win over Getafe that put them sixth in the table.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him