Algeria block Bougherra’s Old Firm hope
Algiers: Scottish Premier League leaders Glasgow Rangers were dealt a blow on Friday when their Algerian international defender Madjid Bougherra was banned from facing bitter rivals Celtic on January 3.
The Algerian football federation announced that any of its England and Scotland-based players, due to take part in the 2010 African Nations Cup, can only fulfil their club commitments until December 30.
Bougherra can play for Rangers on Sunday against Hibernian, but not against Celtic on January 3 despite pressure from Gers boss Walter Smith.
Algeria, who have also qualified for the World Cup, will take part in the African Nations Cup from January 10-31 in Angola, with the some of the squad due to assemble in the south of France for a training camp from Saturday.
“A training session will also take place from January 1-7 which all players are expected to attend,” said a federation source.
In the English Premier League, Portsmouth duo Hassan Yebda and Nadir Belhadj are expected to play on Monday against Arsenal.
At the African Nations Cup, Algeria are in Group A with Angola, Mali and Malawi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- SHOCKING! 1,012 rapes in UP in last 5 months, says govt
- Katrina Kaif and Sidharth Malhotra's sizzling chemistry in 'Baar Baar Dekho' is making us crazy!
- Kareena is part of 'Veere Di Wedding': Sonam Kapoor
- Ajay Devgn, Emraan Hashmi starrer 'Baadshaho' begins shoot!
- Nitish Kumar seeks PM Modi's help to desilt Ganga, says feel like crying at river's condition in Bihar