Algeria block Bougherra’s Old Firm hope
Algiers: Scottish Premier League leaders Glasgow Rangers were dealt a blow on Friday when their Algerian international defender Madjid Bougherra was banned from facing bitter rivals Celtic on January 3.
The Algerian football federation announced that any of its England and Scotland-based players, due to take part in the 2010 African Nations Cup, can only fulfil their club commitments until December 30.
Bougherra can play for Rangers on Sunday against Hibernian, but not against Celtic on January 3 despite pressure from Gers boss Walter Smith.
Algeria, who have also qualified for the World Cup, will take part in the African Nations Cup from January 10-31 in Angola, with the some of the squad due to assemble in the south of France for a training camp from Saturday.
“A training session will also take place from January 1-7 which all players are expected to attend,” said a federation source.
In the English Premier League, Portsmouth duo Hassan Yebda and Nadir Belhadj are expected to play on Monday against Arsenal.
At the African Nations Cup, Algeria are in Group A with Angola, Mali and Malawi.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know