Almeida hat-trick gives Bremen win over St Pauli
Bremen: Werder Bremen`s Hugo Almeida scored a hat-trick and was then sent off during his team`s 3-0 win over St Pauli which stopped a freefall that had sent them tumbling down the Bundesliga table.
Portugal international Almeida needed only a minute to score Werder`s first goal of November in all competitions when he caught the St Pauli defence napping.
He doubled the lead in the 20th minute when Marko Marin broke quickly to send the striker through, and notched his hat-trick in the 64th, slotting through St Pauli keeper Thomas Kessler`s legs.
But the 26-year-old lashed out at St Pauli central defender Carlos Zambrano 10 minutes from time and was shown a straight red card.
St Pauli, who hit the woodwork twice in the game, were also left with 10 men after Markus Thorandt got his marching orders for a two-footed flying tackle on Werder captain Torsten Frings in the 90th minute.
Werder`s win lifted them to 11th place on 18 points.
Bremen, who lost in the Champions League in midweek and are bottom of their group, had conceded 13 goals in the past four league matches.
They had not won any of their last seven games in all competitions and coach Thomas Schaaf, in charge since 1999, was under mounting pressure.
On Saturday, Borussia Dortmund cruised past bottom-placed Borussia Moenchengladbach 4-1 to remain seven points clear of Mainz at the top with their 12th win in 14 games.
Bayern Munich moved up to fifth spot on 23 points after crushing Eintracht Frankfurt 4-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users