Alonso left out of Confederations Cup squad
Madrid: Real Madrid midfielder Xabi Alonso will miss Spain`s Confederations Cup football trip due to a groin injury.
Alonso has struggled with injuries in the second-half of the season and has not been given the all-clear by Madrid`s doctors to take part in the competition which starts June 15.
Also left out of the team were mid-fielders Benat Extebarria and Javi Garcia as Spain coach Vicente Del Bosque released the final 23-man squad on Sunday.
Spain will travel to Brazil for their opening game of the tournament against Uruguay, June 16 in Recife.
Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Pepe Reina (Liverpool/England), Victor Valdes (Barcelona)
Defenders: Nacho Monreal (Arsenal/England), Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Raul Albiol, Sergio Ramos, Alvaro Arbeloa (all Real Madrid), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea/England)
Midfielders: Andres Iniesta, Sergio Busquets, Xavi Hernandez, Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Arsenal/England), Javi Martinez (Bayern Munich/Germany)
Forwards: Juan Mata, Fernando Torres (Chelsea), David Silva (Manchester City/England), Pedro, David Villa (Barcelona), Jesus Navas (Sevilla), Roberto Soldado (Valencia)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Get ready to watch Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh in 'Padmavati'! Deets inside
- Bella Thorne comes out as bisexual via Twitter
- Shraddha Kapoor sought to judge music reality TV show?
- Big boost for PM Modi! US voices concerns over human rights situation in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir
- Lodha panel secretary accused BCCI selectors of taking sexual favours, reveals Ajay Shirke