Alves own-goal sees Swiss sink Brazil
Basel: In Basel, the latest stop on Brazil`s so-called Global Tour ended in a 1-0 defeat to a surprisingly lively Switzerland, thanks to an own goal from defender Dani Alves.
Brazil were playing their first match since winning the Confederations Cup in June, and a tense opening half saw three players booked in the first 24 minutes, with Switzerland`s Philippe Senderos and Valon Behrami and Brazil`s Neymar all being shown yellow cards.
But gradually Brazil took the upper hand with the mercurial Neymar pulling the strings in midfield, and after he had pulled a slack shot wide after good work from Hulk, he provided the first clear opening in the 38th minute when his cross from the left was headed on to the top of the bar by Fred.
At the other end, the energetic Xherdan Shaqiri forced Jefferson into his first real save with a sharply-struck left-foot shot from the edge of the area, which the Brazilian `keeper did well to parry for a corner.
But it only took three minutes into the second half for the Swiss to edge in front with the most improbable of goals.
Shaqiri fed Haris Seferovic down the right and his cross was met at the far post by Brazil full-back Alves, whose attempted headed clearance flew inside the post with Jefferson wrong-footed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth