Alves own-goal sees Swiss sink Brazil
Basel: In Basel, the latest stop on Brazil`s so-called Global Tour ended in a 1-0 defeat to a surprisingly lively Switzerland, thanks to an own goal from defender Dani Alves.
Brazil were playing their first match since winning the Confederations Cup in June, and a tense opening half saw three players booked in the first 24 minutes, with Switzerland`s Philippe Senderos and Valon Behrami and Brazil`s Neymar all being shown yellow cards.
But gradually Brazil took the upper hand with the mercurial Neymar pulling the strings in midfield, and after he had pulled a slack shot wide after good work from Hulk, he provided the first clear opening in the 38th minute when his cross from the left was headed on to the top of the bar by Fred.
At the other end, the energetic Xherdan Shaqiri forced Jefferson into his first real save with a sharply-struck left-foot shot from the edge of the area, which the Brazilian `keeper did well to parry for a corner.
But it only took three minutes into the second half for the Swiss to edge in front with the most improbable of goals.
Shaqiri fed Haris Seferovic down the right and his cross was met at the far post by Brazil full-back Alves, whose attempted headed clearance flew inside the post with Jefferson wrong-footed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof