Ambedkar Stadium packed with armymen for Durand final
New Delhi: The 20,000-capacity Ambedkar Stadium here finally filled up Thursday as Army families and school children flocked to the ground to witness the Durand Cup final between Mohammedan Sporting and ONGC.
The 126th edition of the world`s third oldest tournament had so far seen the stands with hardly 100-200 spectators for the group and knockout stages. However, the cemented rows were filled to capacity Thursday as numerous Army trucks carrying loads of football fans descended on the scene.
The Army band, consisting a mix of various regiments, put on a scintillating display of music and marching drill, much to the joy of fans. There was also a significant Army presence with senior personnel coming to witness the final.
ONGC are looking to make history by winning their first major trophy. On the other hand, Sporting have already won the tournament once in 1940 and finished runners-up on three occasions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Your depressed better-half can make you sad too!
- 70% want Narendra Modi to be PM till 2024, 62% happy with his performance: Survey
- Chhota Rajan faces death threat from Chhota Shakeel while in Tihar
- World's largest telescope may be set up in Ladakh
- Top quotes by PM Narendra Modi at launch of free LPG scheme for poor families