Ambedkar Stadium packed with armymen for Durand final
New Delhi: The 20,000-capacity Ambedkar Stadium here finally filled up Thursday as Army families and school children flocked to the ground to witness the Durand Cup final between Mohammedan Sporting and ONGC.
The 126th edition of the world`s third oldest tournament had so far seen the stands with hardly 100-200 spectators for the group and knockout stages. However, the cemented rows were filled to capacity Thursday as numerous Army trucks carrying loads of football fans descended on the scene.
The Army band, consisting a mix of various regiments, put on a scintillating display of music and marching drill, much to the joy of fans. There was also a significant Army presence with senior personnel coming to witness the final.
ONGC are looking to make history by winning their first major trophy. On the other hand, Sporting have already won the tournament once in 1940 and finished runners-up on three occasions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves