Ambedkar Stadium packed with armymen for Durand final
New Delhi: The 20,000-capacity Ambedkar Stadium here finally filled up Thursday as Army families and school children flocked to the ground to witness the Durand Cup final between Mohammedan Sporting and ONGC.
The 126th edition of the world`s third oldest tournament had so far seen the stands with hardly 100-200 spectators for the group and knockout stages. However, the cemented rows were filled to capacity Thursday as numerous Army trucks carrying loads of football fans descended on the scene.
The Army band, consisting a mix of various regiments, put on a scintillating display of music and marching drill, much to the joy of fans. There was also a significant Army presence with senior personnel coming to witness the final.
ONGC are looking to make history by winning their first major trophy. On the other hand, Sporting have already won the tournament once in 1940 and finished runners-up on three occasions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Scientists produce rare wood bison calves through IVF
- Munich pulls together after shopping mall shooting
- West Indies legend Vivian Richards hails Virat Kohli's 'magnificent' innings
- Indian aid worker Judith D'Souza rescued from captors in Afghanistan returns home
- 80 killed, over 200 injured in twin suicide bomb attacks on Kabul protesters; Islamic State claims responsibility