Ambedkar Stadium packed with armymen for Durand final
New Delhi: The 20,000-capacity Ambedkar Stadium here finally filled up Thursday as Army families and school children flocked to the ground to witness the Durand Cup final between Mohammedan Sporting and ONGC.
The 126th edition of the world`s third oldest tournament had so far seen the stands with hardly 100-200 spectators for the group and knockout stages. However, the cemented rows were filled to capacity Thursday as numerous Army trucks carrying loads of football fans descended on the scene.
The Army band, consisting a mix of various regiments, put on a scintillating display of music and marching drill, much to the joy of fans. There was also a significant Army presence with senior personnel coming to witness the final.
ONGC are looking to make history by winning their first major trophy. On the other hand, Sporting have already won the tournament once in 1940 and finished runners-up on three occasions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal