Ambedkar Stadium packed with armymen for Durand final
New Delhi: The 20,000-capacity Ambedkar Stadium here finally filled up Thursday as Army families and school children flocked to the ground to witness the Durand Cup final between Mohammedan Sporting and ONGC.
The 126th edition of the world`s third oldest tournament had so far seen the stands with hardly 100-200 spectators for the group and knockout stages. However, the cemented rows were filled to capacity Thursday as numerous Army trucks carrying loads of football fans descended on the scene.
The Army band, consisting a mix of various regiments, put on a scintillating display of music and marching drill, much to the joy of fans. There was also a significant Army presence with senior personnel coming to witness the final.
ONGC are looking to make history by winning their first major trophy. On the other hand, Sporting have already won the tournament once in 1940 and finished runners-up on three occasions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Kareena Kapoor Khan and Alia Bhatt new BFFs in B-Town? Here's why
- UK markets plunge, sterling eyes biggest ever fall, as EU vote in balance
- India focusing on market dislocations from Brexit: Jayant Sinha
- Factbox: Five questions for Britain and Europe after Brexit vote
- China remains unmoved, says NSG will not discuss India's bid