Andres Iniesta extends Barcelona contract to 2018
Spanish international Andres Iniesta has agreed to extend his Barcelona contract until at least 2018, the club said Thursday.
"Iniesta`s extension is confirmed, we have shaken on it and that is enough for us," Barcelona president Sandro Rosell told a news conference.
The deal will probably be formalised on Monday, he said, putting an end to weeks of rumours about the emblematic player`s future.
The 29-year-old midfielder`s contract keeps him with Barcelona until 2018, after which it can be extended annually depending on his sporting performance, Rosell said.
The Barcelona boss gave no financial details but said in September Iniesta should be the second best paid player in the team, which also features four-time FIFA World Player of the Year Lionel Messi and Brazilian international Neymar.
Iniesta, a product of Barcelona`s youth training and reportedly sought by several major European clubs, will thus be with the club until he is at least 34.
His current contract, which runs out in 2015, carries a 200-million-euro release clause.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred