Andres Iniesta extends Barcelona contract to 2018
Spanish international Andres Iniesta has agreed to extend his Barcelona contract until at least 2018, the club said Thursday.
"Iniesta`s extension is confirmed, we have shaken on it and that is enough for us," Barcelona president Sandro Rosell told a news conference.
The deal will probably be formalised on Monday, he said, putting an end to weeks of rumours about the emblematic player`s future.
The 29-year-old midfielder`s contract keeps him with Barcelona until 2018, after which it can be extended annually depending on his sporting performance, Rosell said.
The Barcelona boss gave no financial details but said in September Iniesta should be the second best paid player in the team, which also features four-time FIFA World Player of the Year Lionel Messi and Brazilian international Neymar.
Iniesta, a product of Barcelona`s youth training and reportedly sought by several major European clubs, will thus be with the club until he is at least 34.
His current contract, which runs out in 2015, carries a 200-million-euro release clause.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state