Andres Iniesta named European Player of the Year
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Monaco: Barcelona and Spain international Andrés Iniesta won the UEFA European Player of the Year award ahead of Barcelona team-mate Lionel Messi and Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo.
Andres Iniesta, representing Barcelona, missed out on La Liga winner’s medal but was part of triumphant Spanish side in the UEFA EURO 2012 jointly hosted by Poland-Ukaraine.
Iniesta got 19 votes while Ronaldo and Messi got 17 each. The European Player of the Year is selected on the basis of voting by 53 journalists representing each of the UEFA nations. Players were judged by their performances during the 2011/12 campaign in all competitions, both domestic and international, and at club and national team levels.
"I feel very privileged to be part of this generation of Spanish footballers," the Spanish midfielder said.
Argentine Messi had won the inaugural award in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'