Andres Iniesta named European Player of the Year
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Monaco: Barcelona and Spain international Andrés Iniesta won the UEFA European Player of the Year award ahead of Barcelona team-mate Lionel Messi and Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo.
Andres Iniesta, representing Barcelona, missed out on La Liga winner’s medal but was part of triumphant Spanish side in the UEFA EURO 2012 jointly hosted by Poland-Ukaraine.
Iniesta got 19 votes while Ronaldo and Messi got 17 each. The European Player of the Year is selected on the basis of voting by 53 journalists representing each of the UEFA nations. Players were judged by their performances during the 2011/12 campaign in all competitions, both domestic and international, and at club and national team levels.
"I feel very privileged to be part of this generation of Spanish footballers," the Spanish midfielder said.
Argentine Messi had won the inaugural award in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional