Andres Iniesta named European Player of the Year
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Monaco: Barcelona and Spain international Andrés Iniesta won the UEFA European Player of the Year award ahead of Barcelona team-mate Lionel Messi and Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo.
Andres Iniesta, representing Barcelona, missed out on La Liga winner’s medal but was part of triumphant Spanish side in the UEFA EURO 2012 jointly hosted by Poland-Ukaraine.
Iniesta got 19 votes while Ronaldo and Messi got 17 each. The European Player of the Year is selected on the basis of voting by 53 journalists representing each of the UEFA nations. Players were judged by their performances during the 2011/12 campaign in all competitions, both domestic and international, and at club and national team levels.
"I feel very privileged to be part of this generation of Spanish footballers," the Spanish midfielder said.
Argentine Messi had won the inaugural award in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH