Andres Iniesta named European Player of the Year
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Monaco: Barcelona and Spain international Andrés Iniesta won the UEFA European Player of the Year award ahead of Barcelona team-mate Lionel Messi and Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo.
Andres Iniesta, representing Barcelona, missed out on La Liga winner’s medal but was part of triumphant Spanish side in the UEFA EURO 2012 jointly hosted by Poland-Ukaraine.
Iniesta got 19 votes while Ronaldo and Messi got 17 each. The European Player of the Year is selected on the basis of voting by 53 journalists representing each of the UEFA nations. Players were judged by their performances during the 2011/12 campaign in all competitions, both domestic and international, and at club and national team levels.
"I feel very privileged to be part of this generation of Spanish footballers," the Spanish midfielder said.
Argentine Messi had won the inaugural award in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists