Ange Postecoglou favourite for Australia coaching job
Sydney: Melbourne Victory`s coach Ange Postecoglou is favourite for the vacant Socceroos coaching job with Football Federation Australia (FFA) on a tight budget.
Coach Holger Osieck was sacked just hours after the Socceroos` embarrassing 0-6 loss to France Saturday.
As a stop gap arrangement, the Australian team will be coached by assistant Aurelio Vidmar against Canada in the upcoming friendly Wednesday morning, reports Xinhua.
The FFA is placing $1.42 million on the table for eight months at the helm of the Socceroos with no guarantee of a contract beyond the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, according to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC).
The package has spooked some of the top overseas contenders.
Postecoglou is ranked ahead of fellow local contenders Graham Arnold and Tony Popovic by FFA.
The FFA is tightening its purse strings as it seeks a new naming-rights sponsor for the Socceroos after the long-standing deal with Qantas expired in July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof