New Delhi: Angel Di Maria-Real Madrid battle intensified further as the Argentine's agent Eugenio Lopez, claimed that the 26-year old would have stayed at Santiago Bernabeu, for lesser money.
The former Benfica player was signed by Manchester United for a British transfer record of GBP 59.7million, after being deemed surplus to requirements at Los Blancos.
His agent claimed on Saturday that, there wasn't any offer from Real Madrid before the World Cup. Lopez also added that Di Maria never asked for EUR 8m per year and would've stayed for much less, even though Manchester United offered more.
Lopez further stated that, Di Maria had a contract until 2018, and he wanted to improve his deal. But the Madrid giants brought in Toni Kroos and James Rodriguez which was a sign that something was wrong. The negotiations he and Di Maria had with Real didn't go on a positive way as the European champions refused to budge in.
Earlier, Di Maria had stated that Real had asked him to miss the 2014 FIFA World Cup final against Germany. “What I love the most is playing with Argentina,” said Di Maria. “I received a letter at 11am from Real Madrid, on the day of the game while I was in physio, trying to be the best I could be for the final, telling me to not play in the World Cup final,” he added.
Di Maria further elaborated, “I was thinking about playing in the final, although I knew that if I did there was a 90percent chance I’d re-injure myself. When I read it, I ripped up the letter. I suffered a lot that morning. That was the worst thing to ever happen in my life. I didn’t speak to anyone at the club about this. It doesn’t matter. In the end, it was Sabella who made the decision and it was for the best.
Meanwhile, Real president, Florentino Perez, criticised for allowing the Argentine winger to leave”. He claimed that only Cristiano Ronaldo would have earned more at the Santiago Bernabeu had Di Maria signed a contract extension.
The row has become more of a public battle between Di Maria and Real Madrid. Carlo Ancelotti had also stated earlier that he would have been happy if Di Maria had stayed back and fought for a place in the team. Ancelotti further said that it was Di Maria's decision to leave, as Real did their best to keep Di Maria.
The 26-year old denied the claims made by Carlo Ancelotti and Perez. He stated that he had no clue of an offer made by Perez.
The current scenario presents a cloud of conflict between a club and one of its former best players. Di Maria will hope he puts it all behind him and shine for United in the present season.