Arena Fonte Nova to be ready in February
Salvador: Salvador`s Arena Fonte Nova, to be used during the Confederations Cup and next year`s football World Cup, will be completed Feb 28, according to the local state government.
The original deadline was December 2012 but at the turn of the year the stadium was only 85 percent finished, with the pitch still needing to be laid, reports Xinhua.
The stadium will officially be reopened March 29, the birthday of the north-eastern city. The idea is that the Fonte Nova`s inauguration will be a gift to the entire metropolis and its population.
The exact type of celebration has not yet been formalised but a music show, as happened in Fortaleza and Belo Horizonte, is a distinct possibility.
The first match at the new ground will be a derby game between Bahia and Vitoria in the Bahia state championship March 31.
Fonte Nova is due to host three games during the FIFA Confederations Cup in June. Brazil vs Italy, Uruguay vs the tournament`s African representatives (yet to be decided) and the third place play-off will all be played in Salvador.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum