Arena Fonte Nova to be ready in February
Salvador: Salvador`s Arena Fonte Nova, to be used during the Confederations Cup and next year`s football World Cup, will be completed Feb 28, according to the local state government.
The original deadline was December 2012 but at the turn of the year the stadium was only 85 percent finished, with the pitch still needing to be laid, reports Xinhua.
The stadium will officially be reopened March 29, the birthday of the north-eastern city. The idea is that the Fonte Nova`s inauguration will be a gift to the entire metropolis and its population.
The exact type of celebration has not yet been formalised but a music show, as happened in Fortaleza and Belo Horizonte, is a distinct possibility.
The first match at the new ground will be a derby game between Bahia and Vitoria in the Bahia state championship March 31.
Fonte Nova is due to host three games during the FIFA Confederations Cup in June. Brazil vs Italy, Uruguay vs the tournament`s African representatives (yet to be decided) and the third place play-off will all be played in Salvador.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- HCL Tech Q3 net profit grows 14.4% to Rs 1,926 crore
- Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS): 10 things you must know!
- India will be 'Congress-free' if BJP keeps nation 'drought-free': Sanjay Raut
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: Parent firm Finmeccanica yet to be formally blacklisted, says report
- PCB clears Younis Khan after accepting his apology