Argentina face nervous Messi wait
Brasilia: La Albiceleste can secure their place at World Cup 2014 in Brazil with a win at River Plate`s Monumental Stadium in Buenos Aires on June 7.
The Argentina coach has one big injury concern in the shape of Messi, who was called up to the national side despite struggling with a hamstring injury since April.
And the 25-year-old was a notable absentee for Sabella`s final training session before the clash, prompting concerns that the Barcelona star will be limited to a cameo role at best for Friday`s game.
"If Messi can`t play, the alternative is Walter Montillo," the Argentina coach told reporters at a press conference.
“His leg is OK. He looks quick and capable of taking on defenders, but we need to see how fit he is after so long without playing. The doubt is due to his inactivity.
"We will make the decision this afternoon; we will do a little very light training session to see how everyone in the squad is in general, particularly Messi."
Messi`s importance to Argentina is obvious, with Celta Vigo midfielder Augusto Fernandez admitting that even a half-fit version of the Barcelona man can help the team.
“He can make the difference with one leg, that`s why we want him to play,” said the 27-year-old.
The three time Ballon d`Or winner`s possible replacement, Montillo, currently plays in Brazil with Santos and has made four appearances for the national team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA