Argentina hooligans can go to Brazil World Cup: Court
Buenos Aires: Notorious Argentine "barras bravas" football hooligans can travel to the World Cup without intelligence being passed on beforehand to hosts Brazil, a court has ruled.
The court in Buenos Aires said that the Argentine government is not allowed to tell another country personal information about its citizens, a lawyer for the United Argentine Fans (HUA) supporters` group said Wednesday.
Debora Hambo welcomed the judgment "to avoid persecution of supporters, like in South Africa in 2010."
During the World Cup in South Africa, 30 Argentine supporters considered dangerous were turned back at airports or deported shortly after arrival, after Argentine authorities passed on intelligence about potential trouble-makers.
An Argentina fan was killed in Cape Town during a clash between rival barras bravas groups on the eve of the quarter-final between Germany and Argentina.
Brazilian and Argentine authorities have held preliminary discussions about cooperation on security.
Argentina has a long and troubled history of football hooliganism with at least 24 people killed in trouble between fans in the last two years.
Argentina face Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iran and Nigeria in the group phase of the June-July world Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM