Argentine Cambiasso hopes to get picked for World Cup
Buenos Aires: Inter Milan`s Argentine midfielder Esteban Cambiasso hopes to get selected for his national team for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
Quoting Argentine sports daily Ole, Xinhua reported that the 33-year-old midfielder was looking forward to being one of the "surprise" final picks of Argentine national team coach Alejandro Sabella, who has already chosen most of the 23 players.
"I hope to be Sabella`s choice," said Cambiasso, who played in the 2006 World Cup in Germany, where he scored one goal. "I hope I have the opportunity to again be on the national team."
In recent weeks, Sabella has hinted there might be a "surprise" in the final lineup.
Cambiasso said he has had no talks with the coach and "there is nothing concrete yet," adding he will try to "play at a high level and then we`ll see."
Argentina have been placed in Group F, with its debut match against Bosnia set to take place at Rio de Janeiro `s Maracana Stadium June 15. Argentina`s second match will be against Iran Saturday, June 21, in Belo Horizonte. The South American team then concludes the first round of games against Nigeria June 24 in Porto Alegre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet
- Why red snow of Arctic is a 'red alert' for the environment?
- Manohar Parrikar says Pampore attack an act of frustration; orders probe