Argentine Cambiasso hopes to get picked for World Cup
Buenos Aires: Inter Milan`s Argentine midfielder Esteban Cambiasso hopes to get selected for his national team for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
Quoting Argentine sports daily Ole, Xinhua reported that the 33-year-old midfielder was looking forward to being one of the "surprise" final picks of Argentine national team coach Alejandro Sabella, who has already chosen most of the 23 players.
"I hope to be Sabella`s choice," said Cambiasso, who played in the 2006 World Cup in Germany, where he scored one goal. "I hope I have the opportunity to again be on the national team."
In recent weeks, Sabella has hinted there might be a "surprise" in the final lineup.
Cambiasso said he has had no talks with the coach and "there is nothing concrete yet," adding he will try to "play at a high level and then we`ll see."
Argentina have been placed in Group F, with its debut match against Bosnia set to take place at Rio de Janeiro `s Maracana Stadium June 15. Argentina`s second match will be against Iran Saturday, June 21, in Belo Horizonte. The South American team then concludes the first round of games against Nigeria June 24 in Porto Alegre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note