Argentine defender Basanta heads for Fiorentina
Argentine international defender Jose Maria Basanta is set to join Italian Serie A outfit Fiorentina, his Mexican club Monterrey announced on Thursday.
Monterrey said in a statement that they had received a formal offer from Fiorentina for the defender, a member of Argentina`s World Cup squad in Brazil.
The Italian club have agreed to pay the player`s $3.5 million (2.5m euros) buy-out clause.
"The player is awaiting permission to travel to Italy to undergo a medical examination and finalise the transfer," Monterrey`s statement read.
Basanta has been with the Mexican club since 2008.
He was a member of the 23-man Argentina squad at the World Cup and played in the quarter-finals against Belgium in place of suspended Marcos Rojo. Argentina finished runners-up to Germany.
He will join compatriots Gonzalo Rodriguez and Facundo Roncaglia at the Tuscan club, who were fourth place finishers in Serie A last season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre