Argentine defender Basanta heads for Fiorentina
Argentine international defender Jose Maria Basanta is set to join Italian Serie A outfit Fiorentina, his Mexican club Monterrey announced on Thursday.
Monterrey said in a statement that they had received a formal offer from Fiorentina for the defender, a member of Argentina`s World Cup squad in Brazil.
The Italian club have agreed to pay the player`s $3.5 million (2.5m euros) buy-out clause.
"The player is awaiting permission to travel to Italy to undergo a medical examination and finalise the transfer," Monterrey`s statement read.
Basanta has been with the Mexican club since 2008.
He was a member of the 23-man Argentina squad at the World Cup and played in the quarter-finals against Belgium in place of suspended Marcos Rojo. Argentina finished runners-up to Germany.
He will join compatriots Gonzalo Rodriguez and Facundo Roncaglia at the Tuscan club, who were fourth place finishers in Serie A last season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kardashians offered USD 100 million movie deal?
- Supreme Court to hear Italian government's plea on marine today
- Aww! Nargis Fakhri is missing THESE guys and gals
- Online application process for NEET II from today. Check www.aipmt.nic.in
- Check out the cheapest, most expensive five-star rooms in the world