Argentine defender Basanta heads for Fiorentina
Argentine international defender Jose Maria Basanta is set to join Italian Serie A outfit Fiorentina, his Mexican club Monterrey announced on Thursday.
Monterrey said in a statement that they had received a formal offer from Fiorentina for the defender, a member of Argentina`s World Cup squad in Brazil.
The Italian club have agreed to pay the player`s $3.5 million (2.5m euros) buy-out clause.
"The player is awaiting permission to travel to Italy to undergo a medical examination and finalise the transfer," Monterrey`s statement read.
Basanta has been with the Mexican club since 2008.
He was a member of the 23-man Argentina squad at the World Cup and played in the quarter-finals against Belgium in place of suspended Marcos Rojo. Argentina finished runners-up to Germany.
He will join compatriots Gonzalo Rodriguez and Facundo Roncaglia at the Tuscan club, who were fourth place finishers in Serie A last season.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai