Argentine footballer probed after statue found in luggage
Rome: Argentine striker Ezequiel Lavezzi is under investigation for attempting to smuggle out of Italy a priceless 2,000-year-old statue believed to be from Pompeii, police said.
Customs officers found the marble statuette in Lavezzi`s luggage during a routine check at Naples airport as the footballer boarded a private jet bound for Paris, where he plays for Paris Saint-Germain.
The extremely rare artefact is reported to be a bust of a philosopher and believed to be from the first century A.D..
"The statue was a a gift from a Neapolitan acquaintance," Lavezzi told police, adding: "I know no more than that."
Lavezzi, who played for Napoli for five years, is under investigation for international tax evasion.
Argentine newspaper L`Equipe earlier said the player is being probed in his native country for tax fraud and money laundering, crimes punishable with jail.
Last month, Naples prosecutors were reported to be investigating suspected "irregularities" in Lavezzi`s contract with the club.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- This lake in Sikkim will leave you spellbound – In pics
- Pakistan needs to actively pursue terrorist organisations using their soil, says US
- PSEB 10th result 2016: Tarn Taran girl Simrandeep Kaur tops Punjab School Education Board 10th result with 99.08%
- Check Biharboard.bih.nic.in & Biharboard.ac.in for BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12th XII Intermediate Arts Result 2016 to be announced today - just an hour to go
- When Rajiv Gandhi explained features of a new Indian Navy ship to his parents-in-law