Argentine striker Barcos leads Palmeiras` survival fight
Rio de Janeiro: Argentine international striker Hernan Barcos scored two second-half goals as Palmeiras kept alive their hopes of avoiding relegation with a 2-0 victory over Cruzeiro.
Barcos gave the home side the lead in the 66th minute by heading in Marcos Assuncao`s lobbed cross before doubling his tally 10 minutes later by dribbling inside the area and chipping over goalkeeper Fabio Saturday, reports Xinhua.
The victory was Palmeiras` second in four days and lifts the club to 17th in Brazil`s Serie A standings, four points from 16th-placed Bahia. Teams finishing from 17th to 20th will be relegated to Brazil`s Serie B.
"The most important thing is that Palmeiras won," a delighted Barcos said after the match.
"Nobody believes the team is going to go down. We are confident that we can get ourselves out of this situation."
Barcos, capped three times by Argentina, has now taken his season tally to 25 goals across all competitions.
Palmeiras is one of Brazil`s most successful clubs, having won the league on eight occasions as well as South America`s Copa Libertadores in 1999.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened